Friday, March 19, 2010

SLC (3 of 3)

Ok last post about Salt Lake City, hopefully the next post I write will be about Sierra Nevada's 30th anniversary series the first of which, an imperial stout, has been released recently and I am on the prowl for it. Anyway this last post is about odds and ends. I had 2 other beers on my trip and they were both delicous, one was a local brew from Wasatch Brewery in Utah the second was something everyone's probably had but me but I'll tell you about it anyway.

Wasatch Brewery's Devastator double bock- I had this one night at dinner when I got tired of messing around with the watery junk on tap. I didn't have high hopes but was proven wrong. This was a good double bock. It was sweet but more complex than just sugar. There was caramel and maltiness with no sticky cloying aftertaste. At 8% alcohol I was thinking it might be hot and boozy but it wasn't it was smooth and tasty. I would order this beer again.

The second beer was Negra Modelo. I know this is a standard beer but I have never had it before. You see Corona turned me off to Mexican beer with fruit floating in it so when I get Mexican food I usually skip beer all together. I had heard this particular beer was decent so I ordered it my last night in town when we went out for dinner. It came with a little piece of lime in the bottle and no glass to pour it in, but I figured when in Rome (or Mexico, or Utah I guess) and just went along with it. I have to admit it was not bad, not bad at all. I could see this being my go to Mexican resturant beer. It had a decent amount of malt flavor, clean aftertaste and I liked the lime in it, but I've said before I have no problem adding fruit to beer (I like the lemon in Hefes).

So there you go, 2 beers I didn't hate.

No comments:

Post a Comment