Tuesday, April 6, 2010

I had a thought...

I just realized I mentioned Yuengling in passing in my last post as a frame of reference. Then I remembered that Yuengling used to have a limited distribution area, in fact I had family members that would request people bring cases of it when we gathered for family events. I don't recall if it was Georgia family or Ohio family but that's not actually relevant to this post. The post is about Yuengling, my favorite lawnmower beer. Please note I don't actually have a lawn and therefore don't require a lawnmower so that's really just an expression.

It's my favorite every day beer, and at 16 dollars a case you're not going to find anything with more flavor. Hell, I can't even buy empty bottles for that cheap, sadly they use green twist offs so I can't use them when I bottle my homebrew. Yuengling is brewed in Pottsville, PA and markets itself as America's oldest brewery. They make a couple beers but my favorite is the lager. It pours a amber-light brown with the usual lager aromas of grass or hay but also some nutty maltiness. It tastes like, well first I should say it has taste. When I think American lagers I think flavorless pee-water. This tastes like beer. I would say it has a slight nuttiness and slight hop bitterness and a little malt sweetness. I've never thought to take tasting notes because it's "just Yuengling", it'd be like taking notes on coke zero (which I can put away several cans a day) but I should probably do that next time I have one. The one issue I have with Yuengling is they have consistency problems. Whether it's from green glass or poor quality control I can't say. But if you see it go ahead and try it, it's not going to knock your socks off and it's not going to win you any beer snob points but I give it my seal of approval and I hate everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment